Thursday, April 26, 2007

Don't

"Don't probe darkness to understand light.
Don't probe sickness to be healthy.
Don't indulge in lack to have supply.
Don't dwell in misery to understand happiness."

~Lester Levenson~




A list of don't s.

It makes sense.

Let go of the negative, let go of the wanting, embrace what we have, change what we can, as we can.

When my mood is dark, and I dwell on that darkness, it gets no better. So, if I try to remember to look for the light, I can find it, there always is light, somewhere. Always. It rained today, skies were bleak, but during a lull in the rain, the sun came out, and even though I couldn't see it, I knew there was a rainbow......somewhere.

When I am sick, or feeling pain, if I dwell on the pain or the symptoms of an illness, it seems to become more intense. If I look for a distraction from the pain, do something to take my mind off the symptoms, they are not nearly as bad, at times forgotten, just a dull ache or feeling in the background of the moment.

If I only think of terms of what I need and don't have, to make my dreams come true, I get bogged down in the details of trying to make up for that lack. If, I instead look at what I already have, and what I can do with what I have to supply my need, then dealing with the lack seems so much more manageable.

To me, the darkness, and dwelling on it, is what creates misery. Thus they feed each other. Letting go of the misery, means seeing those glimmers of light, piercing the darkness. And, when that happens, I feel this tiny little bubble of happiness, it is always with me, and always will be, it is why I can view life with bemusement and amusement at times. Let the drama go.

All words that make sense to me, all ideas that if incorporated into the way I live my life, would create a brighter, more optimistic outlook.


So, why is it so hard to don't?


Years, and years, of slowly feeling my real self eroding away.



3 comments:

Fiona said...

I love this post!!!!!

So, why is it so hard to don't? What a wonderful turn of phrase :)

Years, and years, of slowly feeling my real self eroding away.

Mayhaps, it's actually years, and years, of slowly eroding the outside layers to reveal your real self, hon.

Anonymous said...

I feel that way sometimes too. It's hard to let go of old habits, but I'm learning that I can. It's like anything, hard work and practice.

As for yur real self, I don't know. I don't know my real self either, or maybe there are so many bits to my real self that I can't see them all at once. I like getting older though, because I now want to figure stuff like this out. I'm no longer parenting small children and I have sometime for myself, to think about me and what I want to be, who I want to be.

Take care.

Sunny Delight said...

Fi,
Maybe so, maybe I built up so many layers hiding me, that now I need to slough them off.


deb,
Very, very, very hard for me to let go of old habits!

You know something? I too, like getting older....at least the mental and emotional portion...the degrading body I can do without!