Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Little Girls and their Dolls

The things I learn from a 9 year old girl.........I never realized how out of the 'little girl loop' I was until the past few days..........



Did you know that Barbie and Ken broke up?!?! OMG!











She is with an Aussie surfer named Blaine now......

She also has smaller breasts, or at least she and her Cali friends do (which smell like tanning lotion btw).








Poor Ken, after years of trying to keep up with Barbie....her many moods, and careers, it just wasn't good enough, guess we will see him out on the waves trying out a new boogie board soon.








Or maybe he will just choose Barbie's new alter ego the Gothic Barbie












But Barbie has her own competition, the big headed Bratz dolls are still very popular with the little girls it seems, I really didn't think they would last, but once again, the years have proved me wrong...I learned last night that even though in real life "they would look like real sleezes" (quote from 9 yr. old) they are way cool. The good and evil-- Tweevils ....these are twins Kaycee and Kirstee ...being her current favorites---I have heard the line....NOP....NOT OUR PROBLEM......so many times the past few days......


The Bratz line of dolls appeared after my own daughter was done with the doll scene...her last collection of dolls was the Spice Girls line.....so when I googled Bratz.....it seems they too have critics and fans.........
"Some parents have criticized the Bratz for being "unrealistic" and claim they promote Materialism and Consumerism....."

Uh sorry, sounds a lot like the Barbie world to me....so what's new?

I guess time will tell...remember the women that had plastic surgery to become life-sized Barbies? (which Barbie would stand at about 7'2" tall, have an abnormally long neck, and have measurements something like 39-23-33) So guess the Bratz test of time will be if these young girls grow up and seek to have their heads enlarged, the eyes tilted up at the outer corners, and enough collagen injected in their lips to make Anglina's look small.......



To put it all in perspective though, my adorable 9 yr. old niece is asking her daddy for a Lee Middleton doll....sooooo even though the news of Barbie and Ken's break up has rocked my world......little girls are still little girls........thank god!

No comments: