Sunday, September 23, 2007

Breaking the Code

I am going to tell you a few of my secrets.

Secrets so awful, they go against the 'good mother code'.

Secret Number One:
I don't like to bake, oh there are rare instances, when it is something that takes creativity, but baking cakes, cookies, and brownies...nope, don't like it. I much prefer making a HUGE dinner, in fact I am looking forward to Thanksgiving just so I have an excuse to do so.

I baked 12 dozen cookies today. The oatmeal cookies turned out wonderful. The chocolate chip are just plain...awful! Never have I tasted cookies so bad! I used a store brand chip I have never used before, and the recipe on their package...maybe that is it...they are simply terrible...to make matters worse, these cookies are not for my family or friends, but for charity...if I hadn't had pre-orders all would be tossed to the birds...only I don't think they would eat them!

Secret Number Two:
I hated playing house, and Barbie with Miss Daughter when she was small...it bored me...don't get me wrong, I played along...but very reluctantly. In fact...I never liked playing with Barbie dolls, even when I was a child. I much preferred climbing trees, pretending to be a superhero, and playing softball.

Secret Number Three:
I built my children's sandbox for me...I loved playing in it! I miss it.

Secret Number Four:
I am really looking forward to my children being full fledged adults! I want them to grow up! I love their grown up independent minds.

Secret Number Five:
I beat my daughter at checkers the other night, and I loved the idea that she with her oh-so-logical mind lost to me!

Secret Number Six:
I like most of the music my children listen to. Gasp! Yep, I do.

Secret Number Seven:
I talk to my kids about sex, and their sexuality, I talk to my kids about drugs and alcohol, I have told them what I did as a teen! They have told me what they have tried. I have seen them both stoned, and voiced my opinion about it. I knew they were experimenting. They have even told me they have decided marijuana isn't all that great, and they and a whole slew of friends have decided to go drug free from now on (yeah, yeah right...but then again, maybe so). Mothers aren't supposed to be willing to talk about that stuff, are they?

8 comments:

LePhare said...

You ought to be ashamed of your self. Playing in a sand box........ bet it was fun.

Never tried pot till about five years ago. Super Skunk. Saw some vivid colours, but so thirsty.

Other than that, you're normal ;-)

Sunny Delight said...

Ian,
It was fun, one of the reasons I like Lake Michigan so much...one huge sand box to sift my fingers through!

Super Skunk?

Me, normal? Thanks, I think >'.'<

SoCal Sal said...

With three daughters I also reluctantly played “Barbie” … LOL … It always amazed me that they could look at the pile and know what belonged to each Barbie model and who’s “stuff” belonged to each of them.

For the record, those damn Barbie shoes hurt bad when you step on them barefoot!

It is a whole different relationship relating to them as adults now.

Jac said...

I think your kids are lucky to have such a mom!

LePhare said...

Super Skunk.... heavy weed. Many times the normal strength. I grew it for my wife, and made a 'tea' from it. It helps with some of the problems M.S sufferers experience.

Sunny Delight said...

Sal,
Right you are! I am not sure which hurts more though, Barbie shoes, or Legos.

I do feel lucky in that I like the adults my children are/have become.

jac,
Thank you!
Hope things are going well for you.

Ian,
Thank you for the education, I am glad there is something that eases her discomfort...and yours.

Fiona said...

Sunny...I only wish my mum had been more like you. Especially for number 7. She never even told me what periods were, I just stumbled along by listening to others and reading what I could. Luckily I was a late starter so by the time it started, most of my friends had already gone through it.

Your kids go to you about important things in their lives, and that's such a blessing :)

X. Dell said...

I don't think your secrets should be secret. After all, I like to bake. If we ever throw a dinner party together, then I'll fit right in.

I see a lot of pressure on parents to lie to their children about the most important things to discuss. Honesty is always easier to defend.