Saturday, March 22, 2008

Lessons Learned on a Friday/And a Request

Lesson Number One: If you are going to do something spontaneous...make sure you are dressed for said spontaneous activity. (Just how one does this for a spontaneous activity I am not quite sure...maybe keep a packed bag in the trunk...so I am ready for anything? Hmm, I used to do it for my kids...it was called a "Diaper Bag", mine can be my "Spontaneity Bag".)

I had to run some errands Friday afternoon. So, after my shopping was complete, Kiko and I went for a walk in a nearby park. The park was lovely, but, clogs are not proper walking shoes, trust me on that one. An hour later I could not understand why the arches of my feet were aching so badly...then it dawned on me...clogs+walking+running after a dog=bad idea.

Lesson Number Two: Cheap can be good.

So much of my life has changed in the past 10 months, my shopping list was a short one, and quite boring really, but it definitely shows how my life keeps getting simpler, and cheaper.

Shopping List:
Dish Drainer
Clothes Line
Clothes Pins
Dust Pan
Eye Bolts
Cranberry Juice

My dishwasher quit working--it is now a storage cabinet for clean dishes--thus the dish drainer.

My dryer quit working--well sort of...it tumbles the clothing around...but doesn't dry them--I though about using my blowdryer...but my arms just can't take it...thus the clothes line, clothes pins, and eye bolts.

My dust pan somehow disappeared about 3 weeks ago, and, a piece of cardboard just doesn't do it for me. After searching high, low, behind, inside of, on top of, and and every where else in between, I decided I would have to break down and buy a new one. I haven't purchased a dust pan for at least 20 some odd years. You can actually buy one for a $1.75, amazing!

Cranberry Juice...cause I like it of course.

You may be asking, "Why doesn't she get the dishwasher or dryer repaired, or replace the broken machines? "

The simple answer...it cost money for repairs and replacements...I have no extra money for such luxuries. (desperately hoping my rear tires make it through until the settlement).
It is a part of our provisional agreement for Soon-to-be-Ex to maintain/repair the basics at this property...but it is so very hard to ask him for anything, always was. At this point in time...way too hard for me.

So, back to the basics. I tell myself that standing at the kitchen sink hand washing the dishes is much greener, and healthier, than just loading and unloading a dishwasher. (yeah, yeah I can hear you now. Why don't her children wash dishes? Mainly, because I don't ask, I rarely ask for anything...basic idea behind this post) Sun/wind dried clothing smells fresher, and is better for the environment. When these excuses become a lot less fulfilling, I will gather the courage to put up with Soon-to-be-Ex's grumbles, gripes, and digs...when I do ask.

Anyway, everything I purchased was from one of those Dollar Stores...Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree...something like that. I hoped they would carry the things I needed. I was pleasantly surprised...as they did, (almost, they were out of eye bolts). The quality of my purchases were not quite what I am used to, but I decided two things...1) Who needs a dish drainer to last 20 years? (my last one did) 2) Cheap is good.


* * * * * * *


'Tis a rare thing when I post an entry that requests something from a reader of this blog...but today I am.

I am a registered member of several online charitable organizations. At the moment there is little I can donate (monetarily anyway) to these organizations, but occasionally there is something I can do for them. In the future, I hope to do more.

One of the organizations is called the Global Volunteer Network. They sponsor a world wide fundraiser, Eat So They Can, which is quite painless for the volunteer. Actually a very American type of fund raiser, in that it is easy, social, and fills the participants belly with good food, while raising money for a good cause. A cause I am now asking you dear blog reader to investigate and take part in.















"So what is Eat So They Can?

It is an international fundraiser that invites citizens of the world to participate in what is collectively one huge dinner party; where something as simple as sharing a meal with friends can help stop child poverty. The event is a co-initiative of Global Volunteer Network (GVN) and GVN-Foundation.

Last year GVN kicked off the world-wide dinner party in New Zealand at a picturesque vineyard, and as the sun traversed the earth, Eat So They Can fundraisers sprung up across Australia and Asia, followed by Europe and Africa, the Americas and Canada. Eat So They Can crossed all seven continents and raised over $37, 000 for the Kenya Children's Fund. This year, with your help, we hope to raise $100 000!"


Imagine, if enough of us get involved, there could be bloggers around the world hosting dinner parties on October 18th or 19th of 2008, and the donations would roll in. Think about it...please.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny because my sister in law and I were having a conversation today about the fact that women have such a hard time asking for what they need. You're not alone my dear.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting out the information on the "Eat so they can". Will mark my calendar for October.