Sunday, April 02, 2006

Coffee and a Thunderstorm

Miss Daughter made me coffee this morning, it was quite good, as I mentioned this, she said “I hate weak coffee, so I doubled how Dad makes it.” Smart girl, just like Mom.

But then I wondered, why do I dislike the coffee here at home, even the convenience store coffee is better. Is it the coffee maker, the Maxwell House coffee, the filters, the water, a combination? Decided to do a google on the perfect cup of coffee.

I found the best webpage, so funny, and right! Of course if I took the authors advice, I would have way to many appliances on my counter top, have enough junk there already, and it isn’t my coffee maker, it is a Bunn so the extraction is really fast (this I learned today), I am going to blame it on the water. I have decided that is why the coffee I make while camping is so good, we use bottled water, it is pure, no chemicals, no minerals, so tomorrow when I do the shopping for Son’s birthday dinner, I am gonna buy me a few gallons of coffee water.

I have linked the website for the coffee page, it is a great read.

For instance this is his take on the age of coffee beans:

Age

Coffee releases six times its volume in carbon dioxide within the first 48 hours of roasting. Think about this before you try cramming your freshly burnt beans into a tupperware container and chucking it into the back of your 4x4.

Green coffee is almost impervious to aging and can be stored in your cellar for years. But once it's roasted the flavor degrades immediately and gets worse over time. Yet despite this dire warning, never attempt to roast coffee yourself. As an amateur you will ruin your beans with your cockamamie, half-assed attempt. No yuppie-toy flower-faggot kitchentop roaster will ever match the precision built, multi-thousand-dollar batch roasters used by professionals who know what the fuck they are doing. That you're already insisting on brewing coffee at home instead of going to an experienced barista is bad enough, do not make it worse than it already is. The roasted coffee you buy is the last outpost of expertise before a barren wasteland of idiots wielding cheap-ass equipment sloshed with harsh detergents and banged around with simian clumsiness in bacteria infested kitchens that no coffee bean should ever be punished by inhabiting. If you really like the taste of your coffee, know that it all comes from the skill of the roaster and all you had to do is follow some simple fucking instructions.


Boorah boorah!
When was the last time you walked in a thunderstorm?

We did tonight, it was fun, exhilarating, and a little cold.

It wasn’t planned, we thought we had an hour before they were to be upon us. Even checked the radar map before we left. What was kind of freaky was that quite recently I was talking with a friend about how great storms are, how fun it is to be in a downpour.

It made our Sunday walk all the better, because of course Miss Daughter had to jump in the puddles, had to splash me, what she didn’t expect was my return fire…..oh she was drenched! But then again, we were both were.
On our drive home in the storm the perfect song came on the radio...it fit the mood exactly.

Miss New Booty by Bubba Sparxxx Feat. Ying Yang Twins

Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere
Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere
Booty, booty, booty, booty, rockin' everywhere
Rockin' everywhere
Rockin' everywhere

No comments: